Vocational qualifications and further and specialist vocational qualifications
Vocational qualifications are divided into vocational (upper secondary) qualifications, further vocational qualifications and specialist vocational qualifications. The qualifications consist of units. You can either complete a full qualification or only study individual qualification units. The scope of the qualifications and units is measured in competence points, abbreviated as cps.
The studies involve contact instruction and guidance, online studies, training and education provided on the job and independent studying.
Vocational qualifications have a scope of 180 cps. When studying for a vocational qualification, you learn to complete basic tasks in the field and further improve your competence by completing studies related to the competence area of your choice and optional studies. The time you ultimately spend on your studies depends on your previous education and work experience.
A vocational qualification consists of 145 cps of vocational units. In addition to these units, you study 35 cps of common units. Common units include foreign languages, mathematics and entrepreneurship.
The qualifications include both compulsory and optional units. Optional units can also be chosen from other vocational qualifications, common units or studies at a general upper secondary school or a university of applied sciences.
Further vocational qualifications have a scope of 120 or 150 cps. Further vocational qualifications are mainly for people who have already completed a vocational qualification or some other qualification or they have acquired competence at work. A further vocational qualification provides higher competence in the field than a vocational qualification.
Specialist vocational qualifications have a scope of 160 or 180 cps. Specialist vocational qualifications are mainly for people who already have education in the field, professional skill and solid work experience in the field. A specialist vocational qualification provides higher competence than a vocational or a further vocational qualification.
Further and specialist vocational qualifications consist of compulsory and optional units according to the national requirements for each qualification. Further and specialist vocational qualifications do not include common units.
You can study the following qualifications at Samiedu:
- Vocational Qualification in the Vehicle Sector, Vehicle Mechanic
- Vocational Qualification in Food Production, Baker-confectioner, Food Maker
- Vocational Qualification in Hairdressing and Beauty Care, Hairdresser, Barber, Beauty Therapist
- Vocational Qualification in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology, Machinist, Plater-welder
- Vocational Qualification in Business and Administration
- Vocational Qualification in Logistics, Driver, Articulated Vehicle Driver, Bus Driver
- Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry, Tourism Activities Organiser, Receptionist
- Vocational Qualification in Media and Visual Expression, Implementer of Media Services
- Vocational Qualification in Surface Treatment Technology, Painter, Surface Treatment Finisher, Floor Layer
- Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services, Property Maintenance Operative
- Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services, Housekeeper, Site Facilities Operative
- Vocational Qualification in Wood Industry, Joiner
- Vocational Qualification in Construction, Builder
- Vocational Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services, Cook, Waiter/Waitress
- Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care, Practical Nurse
- Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care, Emergency Practical Nurse
- Vocational Qualification in Electrical Engineering and Automation Technology, Electrician, Automation Assembler
- Vocational Qualification in Information and Communications Technology, Network Installer, Welfare Technology Installer, Electronics Assembler, IT Support Specialist, Software Developer
- Vocational Qualification in Arts and Design, Theatre Technology Artisan, Interior Decoration Artisan
- Vocational Qualification in Building Maintenance Technology, Pipe Fitter, Refrigeration Fitter
Further and specialist vocational qualifications
- Further Vocational Qualification in the Motor Vehicles Sector
- Further Vocational Qualification in Stage and Theatre Technology
- Further Vocational Qualification in Massage
- Further Vocational Qualification in Property Management
- Further Vocational Qualification in Education and Guidance
- Further Vocational Qualification in Intellectual Disability Services
- Further Vocational Qualification in Business
- Further Vocational Qualification in Nature-based Services, Wilderness and Nature Guide
- Further Vocational Qualification in Forestry, Forestry Entrepreneur
- Further Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services, Personal Assistant
- Further Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services,
- Institutional Cleaner, Site Facilities Operator, Housekeeper
- Further Vocational Qualification in Restaurant Customer Service
- Further Vocational Qualification in Food Services
- Further Vocational Qualification in Arts and Design, Interior Decorator
- Further Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services
- Further Vocational Qualification in Building Construction
- Further Vocational Qualification in Health Care, Chiropodist
- Further Vocational Qualification in Production TechnologyFurther Vocational Qualification for Entrepreneurs
- Specialist Vocational Qualification in Massage
- Specialist Vocational Qualification in Leadership and Business Management
- Specialist Vocational Qualification in Rehabilitation, Support and Guidance Services
- Specialist Vocational Qualification in Nature-based Services, Nature Surveyor
- Specialist Vocational Qualification in Care for the Elderly
Find out more about the content and objectives of the qualifications in the eRequirements service.
Apply to study (in Finnish)
Studies supporting learning skills
With us, you also have the opportunity to pursue studies supporting learning skills. Their purpose is to acquire competencies based on your needs, giving you the skills to take part in education aiming for a qualification.
At Samiedu, you can pursue studies supporting learning skills in four study modules:
- study and working life skills
- digital and mathematical skills
- professional Finnish at work
- English language skills.
Studies supporting learning skills are always planned individually according to the needs of the student and included in the personal competence development plan (PCDP).
Preparatory education for vocational training, VALMA
VALMA gives you one more year to think about which field would be suitable for you. VALMA lasts for one school year and gives you the skills you need to apply to study for a vocational qualification and strengthens your ability to complete a vocational qualification.
It is a suitable option for you if you:
- do not yet know what to do immediately after comprehensive school
- want to improve the grades in your basic education certificate
- want to develop your study skills.
The education is meant for anyone who needs to improve their ability to study or needs help and guidance in choosing a profession – no matter whether they are young, adults or, say, immigrants.
You can apply to VALMA education either via the preparatory education application in Studyinfo or through continuous admission. All applicants are interviewed.
During the education, you complete 60 competence points according to your personal goals by choosing studies from the optional units:
- Orientation to vocational education and training and learning basic abilities for working life, 0–10 competence points
- Strengthening learning skills, 0–30 competence points
- Preparation for on-the-job education and training, 0–20 competence points
- Strengthening inclusion and practical skills, 0–20 competence points
In addition, you can choose:
- Vocational qualification units, 0–15 competence points
- Other optional units, 0–5 competence points
Read more about VALMA education in Studyinfo or the eRequirements service (in Finnish).
Apply to study (in Finnish)